Swap the home office for working outdoors
If you’re ready to ditch the home office and head out into the fresh air there’s no better time to think about the opportunities available to work outdoors as your own boss.
Spending your working day outside – in all weathers – isn’t for everyone. But if you are itching to get off the chair and you’re happy with your own company, then a service franchise could offer you a path to a new-found freedom.
Of course the home and garden franchises come to mind first, but search around and you’ll find other opportunities to build an outdoors business.
Benefits of working outdoors
- Fresh air. Of course.
- Physical activity.
- You’ll get to enjoy the seasons – or at least a change in temperature!
- No more screen-tired eyes from hunching over the laptop.
- You won’t be pinned down to one workplace.
- You’ll get to know the neighbourhood and become part of the community.
- There may be the chance to split your territory or take on staff and more business.
Challenges of working outdoors
- It’s physically demanding. You’ll be on your feet all day so you’ll need to be fit and healthy.
- The weather. Like it or not, what’s happening outside will likely affect your service delivery.
- Seasonality – some services are in high demand in summer but in winter see a drop in business.
- When everyone’s enjoying the easy summer days, you may be at your busiest.
- For a home and garden service you’ll probably need to operate a trailer.
- You’ll most likely be working alone, at least until the business builds up.
7 franchises that love the outdoors
Deck and timber restoration and preservation services for residential and commercial clients, with very little competition in the marketplace, the company reports.
The name says it all. The business is completely focused on its outdoor services, which it’s been operating since 2012.
A well-established network of more than 110 franchisees this division of the Jim’s Group has been operating since 2003.
The original business that spawned a mega group.
Jim Penman launched his mowing business 31 years ago and it’s now a household name.
A multi-award winning business which has more than 100 retail outlets and 400 mobile vans servicing customers, and multiple income streams.
Something a little different
We know you’re out there. Those with a social bent who would miss the interaction with customers, but would relish the flexibility of being an outdoors mobile operator.
A premium mobile cafe franchise system established eight years ago, backed by a team that’s been delivering mobile coffee for 25 years.
Indoors AND outdoors?
For fitness fanatics, try this four year old personal training franchise that takes the gym to the customer’s home, backyard, park, beach.